Monday, January 20, 2014

Zero Effect

For this, my 100th Movie Review, I have chosen to do my all-time favorite movie. This is not the best movie in any particular way, but it just strikes my fancy in a certain way, the characters and the dialogue are amazing, and I could watch it over and over again and never get tired of it, seeing brand new things every time. The chemistry between all the actors is amazing, really.
Bill Pullman (Independence Day) plays the incomparable Darryll Zero, a modern Sherlock Holmes, complete with queer manner and opium addiction. Ben Stiller (Zoolander) plays his totally normal legal assistant, who works as his liaison for all public work. The Private Investigation world is ruled by Zero, he is the man. Ryan O’Neal (Paper Moon) is Gregory Stark, the next client, and “someone is holding something BIG over this guys head”. As it turns out, the lead suspect (Kim Dickens, Mercury Rising) is also the perfect match for the hapless Zero, king of cool on the job, but not much of anything any other time. 

The romance, comedy, detective story, and drama is in perfect balance, and there are so many quotables that I find myself saying, not to quote the movie, but just because that’s how real life sounds. Amazing. I can really only give it a 3 on a scale of 1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment