Monday, January 20, 2014

Where the Wild Things Are

Max is not a happy boy. Picked on by his big sisters friends, ignored by his family, and needing a father very badly, Max is in sore need of friends. He raises trouble at home, and acts like a tyrant, desperately wanting to rule. It’s man’s will to dominate that rises up in him.
“Make me my food, woman.” He declares in front of his Mom’s new boyfriend. And then in the proceeding altercation, he bites his mother and breaks out of the house and runs down the street. Eventually he finds the boat, and heads for the land of the Wild Things. Basically from this point it covers the theme of the sketch, he threatens them when they want to eat him and tells them he hes special powers and they make him their king.
Then they build a fort, and they have a big party, and a dirt clod war. The whole imagination of it all makes it really phenomenal, but story of itself is so generalized and illustrates some interesting ideas about the problems in relationships. Overal, I found myself engaged, simply because I was waiting for something to happen which never did, and any reviewing would be superfluous. The one idea in all of this that really keeps it moving along is the vivid imagination of Max, and the power he brings to his own images by his presence.

I give this movie a 2 by the barest of margins. I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t really recommend it to anyone, unless they wanted to see a vision of pure imagination and comic genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment